There's a first time for everything…
And today you will be served an alpha version of an extension by me for the first time :happy: …
What did I do in this version?
I think it was even back in version 1.0 (a loooong loooooong time ago :p), when somebody requested me not only to improve the interface, but to speed up scrolling itself.
I wasn't sure, if that was possible at all.
I wrote, tried and tested different approaches on my pretty weak laptop as well as a rather powerful desktop PC with Opera in hardware accelerated mode within the last days and I can say the following now:
Originally posted by Christoph:
Hell yeah! :yes:
As a first step, I integrated a custom function for scrolling with the arrow keys. The speed is adjustable in the options page. It's working wonders on my laptop and it's still noticeable even on my desktop PC.
It gets rid of that "hickup"-moment, when it stops for an instance again before it continues scrolling after you pressed the key and the whole process itself is far better than Opera's default scrolling.
I think and hope you're going to love it just as much as I do :flirt:
Additionally, I fixed a small bug, which made the scroll buttons occasionally jump to the left border of the screen in the options page (and made them being saved as default position for all websites in that way).
alpha 2 includes version 1.3.1's fix for anidb.net (basically the same issue as w3school, but due to a different CSS component)
as well as Sally's bug about Alt+arrow key (thanks for reporting that one. I didn't know about that combination since I'm using mouse gestures for navigating back and forth in history) :up:
alpha 3 gets rid of the overlapping of the bars. I went for the second approach and as I guessed, the code needed to calculate the correct position of the bar almost doubled. It's working, though and it doesn't have any impact on the vertical scroll performance 😉
alpha 4 (two versions in one day. That's fast – even for me :P) adds an option for animating scrolling. That's scrolling function 2 out of 3. One more and we're ready for beta :cheers:
Drop a comment about your experience with this snapshot below 🙂
P.S: I may have found the reason why installing modern scroll creates duplicates. It's because of the unique widget id assigned by the extension catalog. I'll try to exchange this ID with the current one in the upcoming snapshots. We'll see if that fixes the issue 😉